Holy Cow!What a week.Bear with me while I have a major freak out moment.
Ok, here’s the deal.We have had our house for sale since January.January!!!WTF???We have never had these types of issues with selling a house before (and we’ve sold 14 in 20 years… So I think we have an idea of what we are doing. Problem is, we’ve never had to deal with this type of economy before).Anyway, ten months!In those ten months we have come in second to other houses five times. FIVE TIMES!We know this because the people who did sell their houses were friends of ours and each of the things that sold their houses were things ours did not have (pool, full acre lot, hardwood throughout the house, larger bedrooms, larger dining room – all stuff we couldn’t change).
After six months our contract was up with our realtor. So we took it off that market and decided to do a For Sale by Owner thing. This would allow us to drop the price the amount of the realtor’s commission.That put us in a whole new price bracket.Problem was, we didn’t have the money to list it on the realtor sites (almost $400).So, we printed fliers, watched them disappear, printed more fliers.We also advertised it on Craig’s list and in our bank newsletter.We did get a few calls but mostly from people wanting to lease.Uh, no.
Fast forward to this week.FINALLY, we had the money saved to list the house on a realtor website.Holy macaroni!Our phone has been ringing off the hook.Not a bad position to be in, really.
So, we’ve cleaned the house from top to bottom, replaced four light bulbs, repaired a stuck handle on a toilet (why in the heck do these things pop up during the worst times?Couldn’t this have happened last week before people actually wanted to look at the house?), recleaned the house for the second round of showings (this wouldn’t have been such a huge deal but The Kid had a sleepover – nuff said) and now we wait.
You see, one of the couples REALLY liked the house.They’ve called back twice and have mentioned needing to talk to their banker about financing.And we wait. Why oh why did this week have to have a Monday holiday?Sure, I love having the day off, but seriously… Couldn’t we have moved it to next week?That way we might have an idea if they are serious or not.
I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up.I know we might not make their cut.I know. Really I do.But of course I can’t let myself accept that.
So, while I wait, I’ll curse the fact that it is raining and that every time Princess Bella needs to go out, she tracks in muddy paw prints.On top of that, the running schedule I set up for myself was supposed to start today (I know the rain shouldn’t affect that but I’m finding out I will come up with any excuse to avoid running), I’m out of milk and orange juice for the week (did I mention we had spent all our money on cleaning supplies and air fresheners???), I have five more pages to type for my portion of the Petit Fours and Hot Tamalesgroup novel, my short story to format for publication next weekend (stay tuned for more on that…:) ), my vampire story to finish AND edit (before it’s publication debut on Halloween (more on that too 🙂 ), and I’m out of coffee.GRRRRRR….
Ok. Breath… Enough whining.I’ve had my gripe session.I’m ready to tackle the rest of this chapter and I feel like I’m back in control.